Monday, July 2, 2007

Salad Dressing Revolution

A while ago, uber-domestic goddess M. taught me how to make balsalmic vinaigrette. Because I had been a tool of The Man, I had spent my life buying salad dressing in a bottle at the supermarket. M. showed me I can simply put a few tablespoons each of canola and olive oil along with a splash of balsalmic vinegar, a pinch of sugar, and a dash of salt in a jar and shake the hell out of it. Since then I've made that vinaigrette dozens of times. It kicks the ass of supermarket salad dressing.

More recently, Veg and I had been trying to figure out what our favorite organic restaurant, The Red Avocado, uses on its delicious salads. She finally asked, and they said, "Olive oil." I drizzled it on lettuce leaves with a sprinkle of salt, and yep, that was it! The secret formula.

Since then I've become suspicious. What else have I been buying that I could easily make much better? Instant oatmeal packets and pasta sauce in jars, I have my eye on you.

No comments: